Secret of Playing Tennis

 

Anyone here have ever  watched a tennis sport?

And what comes to your mind when hearing about playing tennis?

Health, freshness, hard sport or other things?

Dear fellows Toastmasters and Distinguished Guests,

Tennis is an exhilarating kind of sport because playing tennis keeps my body healthy, maintain positive thinking, and sportive. It also motivates me to adopt a healthy lifestyle. I have never be worried about what to do on the weekend or in my leisure time. Instead, I always think about how to sleep well at night, wake up early and freshly in the morning and get ready into the tennis court.

A tennis racket always accompany my journey around the Indonesian cities and Islands.

Tennis is not a kind of hard sport, because the player does not collide directly with the opponent either with the ball. We use racket as a tool to hit the ball. The force of the blow does not depend entirely on muscle power but by the swing power. The farther your swing, the stronger power you get to hit the ball.

Even though it gives pleasure, just like all other sport activities, tennis also has risks, like illness and injury. Of course, we do not want it to happen. Instead of being healthy and happy, even pain and suffering.

So, what should we do in order to play tennis safely, comfortably, and memorable?

First, get enough meal and rest before playing tennis. Too much meal is not good. I had experienced such condition that shocked me myself. At that time I was in charge at Bima, West Nusa Tenggara. I used to play tennis with the owner of the project. Even though I felt tired because of overtime work, I always tried to play with full power and spirit. To prepare my strength, I often had some extra food before playing tennis like fried noodles with two or more eggs. Then in the tennis court my friends often bought a kind of supplement drink, and I drank it also. One day, when I was playing, I felt my heart beat so hard and fast, “dug dug dug dug dug dug, dug dug dug dug dug dug”. I was very shocked and worried. I realized that the food and drink I have shucked to my stomach was too excessive and made my heart got multiple pressure when I was playing tennis. Since then on, I tried to manage my meal balanced so that I could play tennis comfortably.

Second, do enough warming up. Before playing tennis, warming up for our muscles is very important, preparing our body to receive a sudden and tough movement when playing tennis. I had experienced a long time illness on the spine, month by month even passing a year. I tried medication to the doctor but did not heal. Even the doctor suggested me to stop playing tennis. Because I like tennis very much, I tried to look for more information, I sent email to Roger Federer, my favorite player. Apparently the cause of my illness was the lack of warming up before playing tennis. Then I always conducting warm-up before playing tennis. After a routine warming-up, I never felt pain on the spine again. 

Third, do the correct tennis movement. I had experienced a tennis elbow, a kind of injury on elbow muscles. I always felt pain when hitting the ball with my backhand. After a long time I found that I had made a mistake when hitting the left side ball. When hitting the left side ball, we have to swing the racket as long as possible to backside of our body, and hit the ball with the swing power so the elbow muscles did not receive excessive force from the racket. But what a mistake I did before, I used to hit the ball with very short swing, so the force from the racket was detained by elbow muscles only and caused injury. After practice the right movement then my elbow illness recovered gradually.

    

Dear fellow toastmasters and distinguished guests,

Playing tennis is an exhilarating sport for me because it keeps my body healthy, positive thinking, and sportive spirit.

In order to play tennis safely and comfortably we need to have proper meal , a good rest, proper warming up and do the right movement.

I like to remember what Dr. Anne Wilson Schaef says:

“Looking after my health today gives me a better hope for tomorrow.”


(This script was one of my project for Presentation Mastery, Level 2, Project 2: Effective Body Language. I really really really like to play tennis!!😀 )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Readiness behind Uncertainty

Don’t be late

Adaptation of My Communication Style