Mentors in my life

 

 “A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.” That is a quote from Oprah Winfrey.

In Toastmaster A mentor is an experienced member who provides guidance and support to empower protégés to reach their goals.

I have hope and dreams in my life, and I believe everyone has dreams in their life. Please raise your hand if you still have a dream ..

Great !! thank you. It must be a wonderful dream in your mind.

When I was a child, my grandfather used to ask me with the question: “What do you want to be when you grow up?”. Once I answered: “I want to be a farmer”, everyone laughed at me and my grandfather said: “ it is better to be a teacher”.  But when I was asked another time with the same question, I answered: “I want to be a teacher”, my grandfather said differently: “It’s better to be a doctor”, and so on, my grandfather always tried to tell different things than I could say. But one day he explained to me: “You can be a teacher, a doctor, a pilot or whatever you want to be but you must get the best grades at school”. That was my grandfather’s message. I realized that my grandfather had opened wide my imagination about my ideal dream, and pointed out the step for me. I thought my grandfather was my first mentor in my life. Later I felt so many mentors in my life helping me to achieve my goal and strives for life: my father, my teachers, my lecturers, and many other important people in my life.

Dear fellow Toastmasters and Distinguished Guests,

My dream in Toastmasters is to be a better speaker.

When the first time joining the Toastmasters meeting in JLTC, I knew nothing about what I should do to achieve my goal. The words in my mind that I could remember in that time were: “I want to be like you”, until TM Yendy who was the President JLTC in that period started to help me, and I began to get guidance and support in toastmaster’s program.

Since that time I started to learn how to prepare my speech, outlining and structuring the script,  understanding a strong opening, body of the speech, closing, smooth transition, and so on. After I was familiar with the basic concept of preparing a speech, I was suggested making a complete plan of speeches according to  Toastmasters programs and to prepare my speech regularly.

As a protégé I felt the constructive guidance, sharing experiences, and the support from the mentor very useful to help me and encouraging me to strive and achieve my goal.

Thank you to my great and excellent mentor who have been patiently sharing knowledge and experiences to support me: like TM Yendy, DTM Dewi, TM Enny, past President Adi Halim, President Aditya, and many other JLTC’s members whom I asked for help and guidance, who always answer my question even at late night or early in the morning, I really appreciate and thank you so much.

Dear fellow Toastmasters and Distinguished Guests,

Being a protégé is about aiming higher and becoming better through the support and guidance of our mentor. Even though one day I would have a chance to serve as mentor of new member, I would still being a protégé to my mentor.  So being a protégé and being a mentor could be run together to achieve continuous improvements in Toastmasters. 

(This script was my project for Pathway: Presentation Mastery, Level 2, Project 3, Introduction To Toastmasters Mentoring)

Comments

  1. Very amazing, well done, TM Wayan👍You have walked out your talks. That is one of the special characteristics you have, and other things am proud to mention are your committment and perseverance. Am also proud to see you be able to realize your dreams by not only moving up with your project speech but also with your new various roles at JLTC. Hope you can join some speech contests in order to mould you up further and keep practising your best endeavours at JLTC in order to let you shine. All the best/Yendy Widjaja, ACS-ALB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TM Yendy, your great spirit and support always inspiring me and I believe it also for all JLTC's members and exco's :))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Readiness behind Uncertainty

Don’t be late

Adaptation of My Communication Style