Adaptation of My Communication Style

 

Can you imagine, if the world without any communication? It must be very quiet, right? There is no one who talks, no angry, laugh, or sing.

In our daily lives, we communicate with family, neighbors, in offices, and in other social settings. There are so many different situations in different circumstances.

Every person has a unique communication style, a way in which they interact and exchange information with others.

Dear fellow Toastmasters and Distinguished Guests,

In this speech, I would like to share about the adaptation of my communication style and how it affected my professional life.

Many years ago, when I just started to work in the construction company, I found that so many leaders and managers in the company gained their success with angry leadership. Most employs tried to do their command first before another job. This is a kind of prioritization force, but consequently, there were so many works left behind and undone. When everything goes well at the end of the project, no problem about budget, quality or completion time, everything will just fine, even without complete reporting or evaluation. But in most cases, this method potentially dragging a big hole of problem at the end of the project.

Most employees actually do not like this method. They feel uncomfortable in the office, feel stress every time even at home, and could not make a good plan for their job.

At the early time of my career in the company, I started to dislike the situation.  I don’t want to learn to be angry-man, because I don’t like other people to be angry with me. What could I do in that condition?

While I carried out my routine job, I started my survey: why the leaders angry, what was the problem, what was the possible better solution. I found that the problem was about so many reporting works, which was undertaken manually. Actually, those reports were impossible to finish on time with all staff.  Those problems were rolling from year to year in those decades. And one day, the problem was rolling into my shoulder. I had to explain the loss project that was not under my control. The person who supposed to be in charge had been fired from the company. There were five file cabinets full of transaction evidence and no one who knew what was inside.

I thought:” This is the time for the solution”. Soon I started to apply my little knowledge about database programming to collect the data with multiuser input.  Within ten days I was able to explain the loss project, by summarizing the data in the file cabinet into one small database system. Since then on, I always tried to improve the database system to support my job. It helped other employees to be possible to finish their work on time.

Most of my job is about communication, and technology has invented to make complicated communication became possible.

Technology helped me to be precise. Using technology we can communicate more with less effort.

And naturally, the problem that I faced in my work has shaped my communication style in my professional life.

In my communication with others, I don’t like to be angry.  I like to be sociable, innovative, and problem-solving. I like to treat others with dignity, appreciation, and equality. Equality attitude is a nice devotion to our life.

Dear fellow Toastmasters and Distinguished Guests,

Every person has a unique communication style, so what is your preferred communication style?

Let’s think about that.

For now, allow me to shear a nice quote, from Jim Rohn:

If you just communicate, you can get by,

If you communicate skillfully, you can work miracles.

 
(This script was my project for Pathway: Presentation Mastery Level 2, Project 1: Communication Style)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Readiness behind Uncertainty

Don’t be late